“When a camera shows you that the glove is on the guy’s leg and he’s not on the bag, how can you say he’s safe?” Torre said.
“Jimmy Leyland, he’s been trying to put wording together to try to eliminate that type of hold-on thing,” Torre added, referring to the former Detroit manager. “But it’s really hard for me to say it’s OK to be safe if you’re not on the bag and the glove is tagging.”
Echoing what Commissioner Rob Manfred said at last month’s owners’ meeting, Torre said recommendations have been made to teams and owners about increased protective netting to guard fans from injuries from foul balls and bats that enter the stands.
He also said no change is likely next year to the rule expanding active rosters from 25 to 40 each Sept. 1. Some have complained each team should have an equal number of players for each game, and some advocate each team being able to use a subset of their 40-man roster each night in September.
Torre said that discussion probably will take place in collective bargaining for a labor contract to replace the current deal, which expires next Dec. 1.
“When you have, say, 28 guys and somebody else has 35, it’s not a level playing field,” Torre said. “We have to make sure we’re able to cross the T’s and dot the I’s.”